Saturday, November 22, 2014

Progress

I was flipping through the blog looking for a post when I flipped into my posts from last November where I was discussing my new Canon and the frustrations of trying to learn how to use it.

Now one year later, I've mastered taking my own photos with the tripod and even my daughter has become comfortable taking pictures with the Rebel. Quite a few YouTube videos, a lot of begging for info on how to best take pictures, lots of visits to sites on the internet and the willingness to persevere, has resulted in better pictures...well at least I hope they are! *LOL*


One of the first pics on the new camera
Why did we think we could take them at night? 

During the winter, I primarily stuck to pictures in front of the fireplace in my living room.  In the spring and summer, my daughter and I have moved to outside the front door of my condo...finally venturing a little further from my front door by walking to the kiddie park to photograph my garments. 


One of my favorite pictures - loved the sun dappling
and how the focus is on my face versus the dress

I'm finally starting to see "pretty pictures" in my mind, which I think you need to be able to take great photographs. Not that I take great photographs, but my daughter and I are trying. I've learned a little about backgrounds, lighting, the best time to take photos and to take loads of pictures to end up with 3 or 4 good ones.  Seriously, we take about 50 photos (at least) to get a couple of good ones. It's amazing how many funny faces I make when we're taking pics...*LOL*


Loved the color of the foliage on this tree and just wanted a pic in front of it!
Love how the tree is framed in the background of the pic...

Originally I was using the camera's timer to take pictures, walking back and forth in 10 seconds, to take a shot.  I finally bought a Canon remote control, and figured out how to work it, which felt like a major breakthrough!  So I will be using the remote going forward and I'm pretty excited about that.

Here are a few pictures taken during the year - from worse to better! *LOL*


At the very beginning

Learning to crop and get what I need

Serious cropping

Getting better but still cropping

Learned to take better close-ups

Natural light is best!

It's cold here on the East Coast again, so I think the Muse Dress will probably be one of the last garments we shoot outside.  Also since I'm back inside I will probably be taking a lot of the shots myself.  I'm still "shy" about setting up the camera and using the remote outdoors but inside, well hey, it's just me!

Anyway, I thought it would be great to update my camera journey and share my daughter's and my own progress...

...as always more later!

22 comments:

  1. You and your daughter have truly made great progress. I always like your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being open about this process. I think photos are the hardest part of blogging. Good ones make such a difference! I recently bought a tripod, remote and new camera. Love the camera, but I haven't used the tripod and remote yet. You've given me the courage to do so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dixie - I have a picture that I took when I first made the remote work but I'm dressed like such a bum in the picture, I dare not post it! *LOL* But having the remote work is awesome. Please set your tripod up and use the remote...when you get some pictures you will have such a sense of accomplishment because if I can learn to do it...I know that you can!

      Delete
  3. this is so funny--- i was searching your blog earlier today to see if you'd listed black friday fabric sales last year, and i ended up revisiting all your new camera posts from that time, and i thought, "night photos!!! they're the HARDEST!" :)) i thought i'd left a window open, ha!

    i love y'all's photo shoots, and i have to say the fireplace is a great location. work that remote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what great progress! Also, I was so enamored when I first saw your pleather dress that I didn't even notice the amazing fall colors on the tree behind you! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are making great progress. I love the red tree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taking photos is definitely the hardest part of blogging! I don't have good light in my apartment and it's now too cold for me to take them outside (plus, coordinating with a friend to help me take them is hard). Natural light really is the best, and I agree, that tree is an amazing backdrop! Yay for progress on picture taking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, it is difficult to take good photos. I haven't mastered the art yet, but you certainly are well on your way. I think you have to be ready for this step - at first it is hard enough learning to blog, let alone be a great photographer. And sometimes, it is a time issue as well - good photos take time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always look relaxed and confident. Is there a trick to achieve this look? I always look worried or stupid in photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I've thought about this and really my best pics are taken by my daughter with the grandkids. Either she makes me laugh or they do and she has encouraged me to stop posing. Just start moving and she starts taking pics so my reactions are more natural. When I take them by myself I play music and look past the camera again trying to be as natural as possible. But again may I emphasize that I take a lot of pictures to wind up with the 3 or 4 that's used in a post!

      Delete
  9. Time flies! A year already? Your photos are great. Well done on learning the new camera.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures look great. I have also struggled with the picture taking. Natural light does seem to work best. I saw your blog for the first time yesterday and it inspired me to not only pull my sewing machine back out, but to blog about my journey back to sewing. Check me out at sometimesaseamstress.blogspot.com. I'm going to stop putting sewing on the back burner and start making the things I've been dreaming about. I have an enormous stash of fabric and unfinished projects that should keep me busy for quite a while. Thanks for being my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've loved the photo progression this year-it's so great to see the amazing craftsmanship in your dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That picture with the red foliage tree is gorgeous! I also struggle w/self-photos. I take a million to get a good one. I have a tripod & timer so I run back & forth. Then I need my reading glasses to see the pics so on they go then back off, run to my spot for another shot, back to the camera, glasses on, check to see if I need to change anything, glasses off and so it goes. I need a remote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely get a remote! I bought one for $6.95 on Amazon ~ couldn't believe how cheap it was. And it makes a H-U-G-E difference!

      Delete
  13. I struggle with this too! And now that daylight is dwindling, it really gets harder, doesn't it? I love that you have at least one indoor place that works well! I have to get on board with Youtube videos for learning more about my camera! Wise strategy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That whole daylight dwindling is doing me in! *LOL* During the summer you have until 6-7pm to take pictures. Now it's by 3-3:30pm because by 4 its getting dark! I just CAN NOT deal!

      Delete
  14. It takes practice. I am still learning myself. I am using an old sony cybershot. Setting the 10 sec timer and running back and forth. If only my teenager would have the patience to take my pictures using her Canon rebel t3i. Your pictures look great. I especially love the one with the flaming red tree behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have certainly mastered that camera. Great walk down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've really liked following your picture taking journey. I'm still rocking the camera timer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of these days I will get around to getting a tripod and remote….one of these days. Kudos to you for your persistence.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails