Saturday, April 12, 2014

Saturday Morning Diary Bits ~ April 2014

First I made it through!  I knew I was reaching the end because I've started to think of sewing again...always a good thing!

Second ~ spring is coming as evidenced by the trees in my complex which are budding.  I've exhaled because the cold and the snow are definitely in my rear view window and I can now look forward to warm breezes, sunny days, a lot of green scenery and wearing a dress, skirt or maxidress for months and months! To say I'm thrilled is an understatement!



I am in the sewing cave right now...putting winter fabrics back onto the shelves and new patterns away that were purchased during the last Club BMV sale.



Speaking of patterns - the spring McCall's Patterns showed up online this week. I've pretty much stopped doing reviews on the collections but the plus size patterns in this collection are soooooooo fugly that McCalls needs to be called out on this!


McCalls 6970 - seriously a belt is not going to help this fugliness.
There is nuthin' stylish, cute or trendy about this outfit!  It just
says bathe me in fabric because I've given up!

McCalls 6971 - Why? I'm totally befuddled by this bigass
top with a tie in the middle and those highwater pants? 
Oops those are supposed to be cropped pants?  Huh????

...and the accompanying "dress" because no one
I know would be caught dead outside the house in
this hospital gown! All it needs is some ties in the back!

Lay on the ground, make a snow angel and have someone
trace you...then use a quilting cotton...a fugly quilting
batik cotton to make a top. Yeah that's McCalls 6292.

If these were the only patterns available to me as a plus size woman, I would be arrested in the street for appearing nekkid because I wouldn't wear this crap! Truly McCalls should have left these on the drawing board...*sigh*

Which is really interesting because I do want to purchase a pattern...McCalls 6969...I really want a jumpsuit. Let's be clear here, a jumpsuit...NOT the romper that's also included in this pattern!



Now truly I should know better because I've worn this style before...back in high school...and you know that rule about if you've worn it during it's first incarnation you really shouldn't wear it when it comes round again...but I wanna go there...yeah I really want to go there! I mean I wear platform pumps! *LOL*

Which brings me to Jenny of Cashmerette and Mary of Idle Fancy who have joined forces with six other plus size bloggers to form the Curvy Sewing Collective.  This is such an awesome idea and it features six amazing sewists who revel in their body type and sew beautiful clothing. Hopefully you will follow their sewing adventures because I know I will be!

Next up is the pattern alterations for the OFCG Challenge but I have to tell you that I want to sew something from each of the new Vogue patterns using fabric from the collection. Actually I want to sew from quite a few of the new patterns that have accumulated in the sewing cave in the last couple of months.  So that is my goal for the upcoming months - use as many of my new patterns as I can and to use my TNTs sparingly.  Now this should be interesting!

Well the sewing cave is calling...

...as always more later!


34 comments:

  1. My take on the "if you wore it before you can't wear it again" rule is that if it worked for you (body or stylewise) once it is likely to work for you again. There are exceptions. Puff sleeves I'm looking at you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, they are even worse than some of the Burdastyle Plus Patterns and that takes some doing. Love the grey coat dress and the jumpsuit is retro and fashion forward at the same time. If anyone can rock it, you can. Happy sewing. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were definitely some cringe-worthy selections in McCall's. Sad...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a jumpsuit too. Didn't wear one during the last go round, so I guess wearing one now would be aok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dress definitely looks like a hospital gown. I don't know what they were thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Carolyn for saying what we often feel when we look at the ugly patterns! LOL
    And thank you for telling us about the other plus size bloggers. Woo Hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does McCalls really think that plus sized women aren't interested in fashion? Who the f... designed or rather didn't design this crap?! Every time I have to spend hours altering a new pattern I think of you and your tnt collection. I seriously need some more tnt's in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually haven't been impressed by any of the Big 4 new offerings in a couple of collections. I do not know what's going on - but it's obviously over the cliff in terms of the plus size patterns. Lord those offerings are hideous. People should not be allowed to buy them, much less make them - or, God help us, wear them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha! I got V9014 too! It's so cute and a little retro vibe going on there. I'm also on the East coast and spring is finally, finally here in Philadelphia too! I'm dividing my time between spring cleaning with all the windows open and sewing. A great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to ask- how do you like Very Easy Vogues? I have never had much success with them. I am short and they all seem to look like sacks on me, even though I am curvy. I like the styles in VEV. Maybe I can do so tweaking and get them to work. But I have never had much luck with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia,
      All new patterns are used with my TNT dress pattern as a "sloper" so I achieve a better fit. That way I don't fit each new pattern from scratch.

      Delete
  11. Well done for making it through both winter and the busy period at work! Can't wait to see what appears from the sewing cave in the next few months - and PLEASE make the jumpsuit, I have a secret love of jumpsuits, and I think it would look amazing on you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well if you're wrong for wanting to make a jumpsuit, then so am I. I saw a Style Arc jumpsuit pattern (the Carly) and am seriously, seriouslyl considering shelling out the money and shipping for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with you on the jumpsuits! Always really liked them and wore them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am with you.You could not give me those ugly patterns for free and that is saying a lot. On another note you must have been reading my mind I want to make a jump suit however I can't find a pattern in my size i am going to have to figure out how to make the smaller patterns larger work for me. Thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
  15. I completely agree with you on the new McCalls offerings. I had a quick look at the plus size ones and I felt like they made a huge step backwards. A very bad bluh...
    Thanks for mentioning the Curvy Sewing Collective too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The only thing stopping me from making a retro 70s Halston-style jumpsuit is removing it for numerous middle-aged bathroom breaks. I had a baby at 44, so the jumpsuit is just not happening in my 50s lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK, I can't wait to see your jumpsuit!!! Do it do it do it!!! I'm hating the other patterns you showed, although I do really like the yellow color in the tie top (would you wear that color? It's so fun!). Jumpsuit!

    ReplyDelete
  18. With you on the ghastly, incredibly dowdy McC's patterns. You couldn't pay me to sew any of them, not even for somebody else!

    Love the idea of the Curvy Collective. Now, what do plus-sizes over 60 wear? I'm not ready for the geriatric sweat suit look quite yet but need to update my current too Talbot's/L.L.Bean look.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woah. I want to join the curvy sewing collective!! And I'm with you on the happy for spring feeling. We've entered pollen season here, which is my only complaint.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can feel you on having rough and tough weeks at work. They are no fun, especially for sewing mojo.

    Yes and yes to the jumpsuit! They were popular way back when, true, but they're back and for a reason. I think they're better than the all-in-one outfit, the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad you survived the meetings weeks from h*ll and are back to at least thinking of sewing and writing about it.

    Curvy Collective has been bookmarked - thanks for the link! Even though these ladies are much younger than I, and I'm a jean's & sweatshirt person (I really should upgrade from sweatshirts!), I'm sure I can learn much about fitting from them.

    And yes - McCall's...why don't they just put out mumu (sp?) patterns and be done with it. Or no plus patterns at all. My impression of these patterns is McCall is saying "We don't care about you, but we're feel we *have* to give you something. So here's some crap."

    I think I need to add V8992 to my list - it looks like it could be transformed into a great top.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love to read about your sewing adventures but you have really cracked me up this morning with your review of the McCall's plus size "alleged" fashions.

    Keep up the great work! Love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is outrageous what the big four think plus size is. Shapeless sacks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes, I agree. These offerings are not really clothing. You couldn't wear them anywhere. I am constantly amazed at how good one can look in well fitting clothes. These have no fit. Back to slicing up smaller patterns, I guess!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Carolyn - I am in complete agreement with you about the new pattern offerings. This is why I sew... and hang onto those patterns that help me look like the diva that I am. Although I have lost a lot of weight and am still losing, I can certainly appreciate the challenges plus size women are confronted with. The clothes you make are beautiful. I know I don't have to tell you this, but it isn't necessary for you to buy those unflattering patterns just because someone in New York or wherever patterns are manufactured these days is experiencing a creativity drought. Go with what looks good on you. Eventually, they'll catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Like many others, I'm in total agreement about the patterns this season. Yesterday, I went to a fabric store for the first time in two years, expecting to spend some money and be inspired, and walked out empty handed and dispirited. What a bunch of terrible, boxy, flowy patterns! Everything there screamed HIDE ME, I'M HIDEOUS!!!. I'm plus sized, not a hospital patient!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Carolyn, you could not have put that any better about those McCall patterns. I was so taken aback by the plus sized offerings. They ought to be ashamed. I did see one skirt that I liked that has been trending and it was M6966- if you like maxi skirts.
    I can't say much else about the new collection.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like your Vogue patterns, especially 9014 (love those easy to sew patterns). The McCall's are unbelievable. Even as bedtime wear, those patterns look awful. I'm thinking about a jumpsuit, but am worried about bathroom breaks. There is a possibility of snaps in the crotch. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do. Happy Spring and Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those "cropped" pants...They are drafting the legs of these types of pants much wider for sizes above 14. I'm having to take them in a lot to approximate pants I find in RTW.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The jumpsuit is tres cute, but I'm of an age now (and this is probably TMI) where when I gotta go, I gotta go. Trying to shrug out of a jumpsuit whilst dancing on one foot and then the other, is a little bit more calisthenics than I want to do these days. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just stopping by to wish you a Happy and Blessed Easter. Hope you have a lovely day and can share it with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my goodness you are too funny. It is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the idea of making a sewing pattern by drawing round your snow angels! Made me giggle :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is so appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails